Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Walt Disney Concert Hall: A Photo Dash in Los Angeles

This is one of the finest buildings by Frank Gehry. He also designed the Weatherhead School building on the Case Western Reserve University campus. I was able to grab a few shots before returning to the conference hotel. Enjoy.

(click on any image to enlarge)



Walt Disney Concert Hall was designed by Frank Gehry and is the home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra.




Stairway outside the Walt Disney Concert Hall.




Plaza outside the Walt Disney Concert Hall.




Entrance to the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.




Sidewalk view.


Copyright 2006 James D. Fisher
All Rights Reserved.

3 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank Gehry is an (under-appreciated) genius of our times.

AJ

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genius? Maybe.
While I too am awestruck by Gehry's architecture (and grateful for Jim's photos), I find Gehry's work generally irritating.
I see the Weatherhead building in Cleveland very often, because I live in the area. A couple evenings a week for two winters, I would walk my girlfriend home from Weatherhead, where she was an MBA student. I noticed that whenever it snowed, the university had to throw up temporary fencing near the main entrance and elsewhere around the building. Why? Well, all of those beautiful curves of steel on the roof cause dangerous avalanches of snow and ice.
Shouldn't a building be both beautiful and practical? I've seen numerous examples; it _can_ be done.
Another observation about the Weatherhead building is that the interior is full of lots of open (and useless) space, which has to be heated and cooled depending on the season. What a waste of energy.
His buildings might make great pictures and breathtaking views, but frankly, Gehry's really only half an architect in my humble opinion. If he's only worried about beauty and not pedestrians, let him paint.
Mike
University Circle

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Jim Fisher said...

Mike, Great points. When I entered the building, the lobby and public areas were functional and attractive, but the stairwells and entry ways into the concert hall were funky. The actual doorways into the concert halls were single aisle only. It took forever to get people in and out. If there was fire I'm not sure if they could get everyone out. I've been in the Weatherhead and it's not the most efficient either.

No question, the exteriors are intriguing and a photographer's delight.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home