Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Aaargh!!! Canon G9 and Sensor Dust

It appears there is a problem with the Canon G9 regarding sensor dust. For the second time in the past few months a huge blob (middle-top) has showed up on my images.


It appears little attention was given to properly sealing the sensor from dust. In each case I've sent the camera to Canon factory service and they cleaned it free-of-charge under warranty.

But after the warranty period it will probably cost $70 a cleaning. At the rate I'm going that will be about $280 per year with four cleanings.

This new sensor blob occurred while I'm in Atlanta and the camera became inoperable.

Plus, with shipping and cleaning, it's a two to three week turnaround. So back to my Canon 5D for now.

Copyright 2008 James D. Fisher
All rights reserved.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You've got blobs - I've got blobs - We've all got blobs!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have only good things to say about this camera, EXCEPT for the half-moon shaped junk that comes and goes in the upper left corner. When shooting outdoors at small apertures its sharp and very well defined. A trip to Canon is coming soon.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Jim Fisher said...

This is the one thing that will stop us from using the G9 extensively. You can't clean it yourself. Dang!

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got a blob. I got a python in mine....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncertainworld/2730884089/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home