Monday, January 31, 2005

Musical Ditties for January - The best of the rest.

Here's a few more tunes I pulled down from eMusic in-between my Zappa-fest.

Deke Leonard - Before Your Very Eyes: - "World Exploded in My Face" and "Map of India". This album was produced back in 1980 while Deke was in/out of Man. Features Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Terry Williams and Martin Ace.

It's a Beautiful Day - Live in Seattle: "Girl with No Eyes", "White Bird", "Hot Summer Day", "Time Is". Normally I dislike live versions of studio songs but they did a great job here.

Alan Gowen: Before a Word is Said - "Umbrellas" and "Fourfold". This takes me back to my days as a Fresh Air DJ on WKSU-FM. Alan played in two British/Canterbury bands Gilgamesh and National Health. This solo effort, recorded a few weeks before his death, lets Alan do his thing without the struggles of working within a band.

John Wetton: Battle Lines - "Walking on Air" and "Battle Lines". These two tracks by ex-King Crimson and Asia singer-songwriter-bassist remind me the most of his work with Asia.

Ike and Tina Turner: "Proud Mary" and "Rock Me Baby". Two of the best R&B tracks ever. Raw, soulful, powerful.

Derek Trucks Band: "Mr. P.C.", "555 Lake", "Naima", "So What" and "Footprints". Derek is the son of "Butch" Trucks of Allman Brothers Band fame. Derek plays guitar on this debut album that portrays not only his Southern rock roots but also has tributes to John Coltrane and Miles Davis. My favorite part of these tracks is the window-rattling bottom end. They made my BassBombs playlist on my iPod.

Enjoy.

Copyright © 2005 James D. Fisher
All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home